Foundations in Expansive Soils: 6 PDH
This course presents guidance and information for the geotechnical investigation necessary for the selection and design of foundations for heavy and light buildings constructed in expansive clay soil areas. The information in this course is generally applicable to many types of structures such as residences, warehouses, and multi-story buildings. Emphasis is given to the maintenance of an environment that encourages constant moisture conditions in the foundation soils during and following construction. Special attention must always be given to specific requirements of the structure such as limitations on allowable differential movement.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE OR SKILL OBTAINED
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Guidelines of the geotechnical investigation and analysis
- Field exploration
- Laboratory investigations
- Methodology for prediction of volume changes
- Selection of the type of foundation
- Structural details of design procedures provided for reference
- Methods of minimizing foundation movement
- Construction techniques and inspection
Remedial repair of damaged structures
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a 20 question multiple-choice quiz. The quiz can be retaken unlimited times until a passing grade of 70% or better is earned. This course satisfies 6 professional development hours (PDH) of continuing education.